A few issues

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A few issues

Post by MrMechano on Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:10 am

Great utility. Even with the bugs it is still easier to use for metadata creation than Daz Studio. I'll list some of the issues and hopefully it will help with your development.

1) The file GlobalIDList keeps growing. Every time the program decides to scan the Runtime/Support folder for new files it seems to add ALL the files again. After using for some weeks the file size grew to over 100MB.

2) Not really a bug but the structure of the Global ID section is based on an old specification for the structure of the filename. Details follow.
2a) The new spec says that the prefix IM is reserved for Daz products only. For other products the prefix must begin with a letter and can be up to 5 characters. The 2nd through 5th characters can be numeric. So a product from RuntimeDNA could have a prefix of RDNA, Renderosity can be RO or RENDO, Hivewire can be HW3D, a freebie can use FR or FREE and so on.
2b) The 8 digit SKU section should no longer begin with 5 or 9 or another number for different stores (50117234). The spec says it should be the SKU number with leading zeros to pad it to 8 digits (00117234).
2c) The "-01" section is unchanged.
2d) Example: A product called Great New Thing, SKU 118888 from Renderosity could be rendered as RO00118888-01_GreatNewThing.zip.
Conclusion: The IM can be replaced with a dropdown list or just use a text box to allow alternate prefixes. And the dropdown list for the first number could have 0 added or simply be eliminated and modify the SKU box to have 8 characters instead of 7. A good explanation of the specification can be found starting on page 2 of the manual for the Content Package Assist product (Daz 30735) which can be downloaded at docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/30735/start

3) Store ID can only be changed from the Smart Content Tab but when you check the box for Add Lines for Smart Content File that Store ID is used on the Daz Install Manifest tab. So if the last Smart Content was done for Renderosity it uses that even if you are doing a product from Renderotica. This means you have to change the lines in the manifest manually or create a manifest, change the Store ID on the 2nd Tab and then start over. It would be a good idea to have the Store ID on both tabs or move it to the DIM tab.

4) Also not really a bug but: The GUID in the Manifest.dsx and the StoreName_12345_Cool_Product_Name.dsx support file should match. When creating a manifest for a Daz product exe conversion it would be nice to have that GUID read from the Support file and copied to the manifest to avoid needing to manually edit the manifest.dsx. An acceptable alternative would be to have a textbox where the GUID can be copied manually.

5) It would be nice if a Supplement.dsx was also created. I guess that would need a checklist for specifying product compatibility.

Hopefully you will find the above feedback to be useful. I will add more for the Smart Content Tab tomorrow.

Regards.
MrMechano

Back to top Go down

Re: A few issues

Post by MrMechano on Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:26 am

Just remembered a couple of bugs from the Smart Content tab.

1) It seems that any unrecognized filetype is added to the list of support files that need to be processed. For example .hdr, .tif, etc. This is also true when an extension is capitalized: .JPG and .PNG instead of .jpg or .png. This means that for somename.hdr you need to specify content type, category and compatibility to be able to complete the metadata and zip the package and then manually remove the unnecessary lines from the support.dsx file afterwards.

2) The compatibility is reversed after selecting from the popup: \Genesis 3\Female is the result instead of /Genesis 3/Female. This can be corrected manually before updating but it is slightly irritating.
MrMechano

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:23 am

Thanks for the feedback it will be very helpful.

http://cdds-and-tools.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DAZboot on Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:01 pm

MrMechano wrote:Great utility. Even with the bugs it is still easier to use for metadata creation than Daz Studio. I'll list some of the issues and hopefully it will help with your development.

2a) The new spec says that the prefix IM is reserved for Daz products only. For other products the prefix must begin with a letter and can be up to 5 characters. The 2nd through 5th characters can be numeric. So a product from RuntimeDNA could have a prefix of RDNA, Renderosity can be RO or RENDO, Hivewire can be HW3D, a freebie can use FR or FREE and so on.

Regards.

Regarding 2a, it looks like the prefix can be up to 7 characters. I renamed the prefix of a DIM .zip file from IM to RENDERO, and DIM recognized it. Adding one more letter caused it not to show up. That could really help when distinguishing between Renderosity and Renderotica.

DAZboot

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMechano on Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:12 pm

DAZboot wrote:
MrMechano wrote:Great utility. Even with the bugs it is still easier to use for metadata creation than Daz Studio. I'll list some of the issues and hopefully it will help with your development.

Regards.

Regarding 2a, it looks like the prefix can be up to 7 characters. I renamed the prefix of a DIM .zip file from IM to RENDERO, and DIM recognized it. Adding one more letter caused it not to show up. That could really help when distinguishing between Renderosity and Renderotica.
They probably changed the spec again. Mmmm.... Actually Renderosity and Renderotica have the first 7 characters in common also. Anyway there are no standard prefixes so you can use whatever you want for your particular needs. I just use RO and RE but Rosity and Rotica are just as valid, etc.
MrMechano

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:57 pm

When all the big bug are fix in the testing CDDS and I move it to the CDDS downloads I'll start on this.
In the meantime any suggestions on making a standardized list of prefixes.

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMechano on Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:31 pm

Admin wrote:When all the big bug are fix in the testing CDDS and I move it to the CDDS downloads I'll start on this.
In the meantime any suggestions on making a standardized list of prefixes.
RE, RO, RDNA (or RD), HW3D (or HW) FREE (or FR) and IM come to mind. But it might just be easiest to change the drop-down selector to text box with "IM" as default but any other 2 to 5 (or 7) character combination can be entered manually. From What I can understand "IM" and "DAZ" and "DAZ3D" are reserved for Daz products but there is no standard prefix for the other stores so people might prefer some scheme of their own. And also another store like FoRender may show up in which case the user could use the prefix they want and no update to the program would be necessary. You would just have to implement a check that there are 2 to 5 (or 7) total characters and that the first character is a letter. And make sure that the Prefix contains Letters and Numbers only I guess.
MrMechano

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:02 pm

The prefixes can be stored in a file for easy updating by the user. A standardized list of prefixes would be more for new people
who are just getting Daz scene and the prefixes list being an external file the old timers can edit it as the see fit.

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMechano on Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:17 pm

Admin wrote:The prefixes can be stored in a file for easy updating by the user. A standardized list of prefixes would be more for new people
who are just getting Daz scene and the prefixes list being an external file the old timers can edit it as the see fit.
Sounds good to me. I suppose you could always make it so you can manually change the contents of the selector box also. Then an "Advanced" user would just be able to type what he wants.
MrMechano

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum