Re-DIM or Duf Compress

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re-DIM or Duf Compress

Post by MrMechano on Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:14 pm

This suggestion is for a new Tab or Tool. Take a DIM and extract it, compress the .duf and .dsf files that need it and then re-zip it. Would not save any significant space in the DIM size but doing a number of these could make significant savings in the size of installed files. Batch ability would be great!

I would hope this would be fairly simple as I think the capabilities are there already in different areas.

I'll leave the name to you. Very Happy
MrMechano

Back to top Go down

Re: Re-DIM or Duf Compress

Post by Admin on Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:36 pm

CDDS can already do that under tools Recompress Zip. Wink

http://cdds-and-tools.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMechano on Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:28 pm

Admin wrote:CDDS can already do that under tools Recompress Zip. Wink
Embarassed
And here I was thinking I had such a great new idea. LOL. Not sure how I missed that.

I tried it and it seems to do a good job of reducing the filesizes but it doesn't actually re-zip, just leaving a folder called "temp". I did save over 2GB when I did my worst offender among installed products and about 50MB on one I did at random.

A batch function would be nice. Preferably with recursion. Maybe with a setting to ignore DIMs under a certain size to avoid wasting time for small profit. Always assuming you ever have time and inclination to do it:)
MrMechano

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:03 pm

Yeah, when I started working on CDDS I noticed that my compression was better then the compression that Daz does so I made an option to re-compress the Daz zip.
It should have made the zip and deleted the temp folder. confused

Batching isn't a bad ideal I had been working on other parts of CDDS and never really thought about it.
I'll put it on the list of things to add.

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMechano on Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:17 pm

Sounds good. Thanks!

I think the compression of the .duf and .dsf files is pretty much up to the creators and Daz doesn't usually do anything to change that when they put together the DIM for release. And of course text files are perfect candidates for compression.

In general there seems to be some small saving on the size of the DIM also. One I tested started at 850 and was smaller by about 160mb after I zipped it using 7zip max compression - the same as CDDS. That won't happen often but still a worthwhile saving over time.
MrMechano

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:39 pm

I thank the only compression the creators use for there .duf and .dsf is the compression that Daz Studio does when it save
the file. Witch isn't very good in same cases the the file can CDDS can uncompressed and recompress it reducing the size by one third of the size.

When it comes to having a large DIM collection every MB that can be save adds up fast.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum