Custom DIM Designer Studio & Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Large files broken up into multiple DIMs

3 posters

Go down

Large files broken up into multiple DIMs  Empty Large files broken up into multiple DIMs

Post by Akkaal Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:11 pm

Hey RunningDazMan!  What a Face I'm still grinning that I found you guys again! What a Face

Any how.....I have run into an issue this week that CDDS doesn't handle automatically, and that's when you need to break up a large file into multiple parts so the DIM installer doesn't fail the installation.

Specifically I am working on converting all my HDRI images into collects and them making DIMs of them.  HDRI images are gimoungous, and the DIMs I am trying to make are routinely over 5 gigs, and some are over that by a lot.  For example, I have a collection of Urban Exterior HDRI's that I want to keep grouped together, but when CDDS makes the DIM, the finished DIM is 5 gigs and it failed instantly in when I tried to install it it with the DIM installer.  If I break up that collection into 5 different DIMs of about 1 gig each, I can install it with no issues (I don't actually know what the exact limit is of the DIM installer yet.)

However, instead of having 5 DIMS named:
IM00000001-01_Urban Exterior HDRI 1
IM00000002-01_Urban Exterior HDRI 2
IM00000003-01_Urban Exterior HDRI 3
IM00000004-01_Urban Exterior HDRI 4
IM00000005-01_Urban Exterior HDRI 5

In this instance what I would really like to be able to do is tell CDDS that this is a multi-part DIM (or have CDDS break up a large file automatically) and have it name the DIMs like this:
IM00000001-01_Urban Exterior HDRI
IM00000001-02_Urban Exterior HDRI
IM00000001-03_Urban Exterior HDRI
IM00000001-04_Urban Exterior HDRI
IM00000001-05_Urban Exterior HDRI

That way, when it's all installed in daz, I will have just one folder with the name "Urban Exterior HDRI" with all my Urban Exterior HDRI's inside it, instead of having all those HDRIs spread across 5 different folders inside daz.

...taking that idea one step farther.....

I know CDDS can update already existing DIMs, but if something like what I've outlined above could be done, then when there is an expansion for an item instead of "updating" the DIM which is what I have been doing, I can just give it the same name as original content and tell CDDS that this is a multipart DIM and have it add the correct part number to the new DIM like IM00000000 -0X_<content name>.  

I hope that made sense!

~ Akkaal

Akkaal

Back to top Go down

Large files broken up into multiple DIMs  Empty Re: Large files broken up into multiple DIMs

Post by Admin Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:58 pm

I don't have an definite file size but I would say that the DIM install manger max file size is some where around 1 GB as large
Daz DIMs are broken up in around 850 MB to 875 MB DIMs.

Yes, it would be possible to have CDDS to break up a large file automatically.
As for the setp 2 that's possible too but your -0X_ limit is 99.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://cdds-and-tools.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Large files broken up into multiple DIMs  Empty Re: Large files broken up into multiple DIMs

Post by MrMechano Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:08 am

Just out of curiosity I did a search on my system for "IM000" and then sorted the results by size. The largest DIM I have is IM00015701-02_iRadianceHDRIMonterey.zip which is 2,494,131,730 bytes. Then I have 4 others over 1GB of which the largest is 1,649,845kb. All are official Daz DIMs. I would guess that they keep most things under 1gb to make them easier to download. The actual limit might be that old 4GB filesize limit. I suppose if you wanted to know badly enough you could test it.
MrMechano
MrMechano

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:20 pm

The Install manger is a 32 bit program if you go by 32 bit limitations it's a little under 4 GB. Install manger may have an internal
limit as I have had people report that some files over 1 GB would fail. That may also depended on the size of each of the
internal files in the zip.

I guess I'll have to test Install manger to see what it's limits are.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Akkaal Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:09 am

I did what MrMechano did with his file and found that the largest DIM I have is 2.48 gigs. It's a HDRI image collection from earlier this week created with CDDS. The largest original DAZ DIM I have is 1 gig, if that helps any.

I will be using the newest CDDS build tonight to make some more HDRI DIMs, I will do some testing on file size as I am making them and see what I can come up with.

~ Akkaal

Akkaal

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:54 am

I haven't had time to do any testing yet. Your help would be much appreciated. This is just off the top of my head but
I'd say the max will be some where around 3.5 GB.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down