Custom DIM Designer Studio & Tools
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Metadata Tutorial

+4
totocaca
Admin
3d-rotic
MrMechano
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Metadata Tutorial Empty Metadata Tutorial

Post by MrMechano Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:21 pm

My first ever tutorial to show how to do metadata in CDDS. Just click to start playing the video.

If you don't see it you need to allow html in your forum profile. Or just go  to https://vid.me/hLtM

Feel free to suggest anything else you want to see covered. This video mostly covers the basics.
MrMechano
MrMechano

Back to top Go down

Metadata Tutorial Empty Re: Metadata Tutorial

Post by 3d-rotic Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:08 am

Hot to set root compatability like we use to do in Daz studio? looks like i missed that piece of video.
Great tutorial by the way.

3d-rotic

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMechano Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:28 pm

3d-rotic wrote:Hot to set root compatability like we use to do in Daz studio? looks like i missed that piece of video.
That's covered at about the -10 minute mark if I understand what you are talking about. If not, give me an example of what you want including type of product, etc and I'll try to help. The different compatibilities can be confusing because of similar naming.
MrMechano
MrMechano

Back to top Go down

Post by 3d-rotic Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:04 am

MrMechano wrote:
3d-rotic wrote:Hot to set root compatability like we use to do in Daz studio? looks like i missed that piece of video.
That's covered at about the -10 minute mark if I understand what you are talking about. If not, give me an example of what you want including type of product, etc and I'll try to help. The different compatibilities can be confusing because of similar naming.

For example this product i purchased on Rendo CruX II - Rebel Rock Pants from Rendorosity
and this texture pack: Mix & Match Rebel-Rock-Pants also from Renderosity how to get this shown up in content pane with Genesis 3 female as
"Compatability base" i cant get it to work properly. Lots of Rendo product come with separate texture pack from other venders. It would be realy helpfull how to get such packs in DIM format by this great tool.
what version od CDDS is used in this tutorial video? mine is different..

3d-rotic

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMechano Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:46 am

You're right that it would be nice to get a product and texture set in DIM format with metadata from Rendo. When this tool is done I hope that it will be easy enough to use and easily available so that content creators can use it for setting up DIMs. Daz made the process in DS so horrible to use that it never caught on but I can crank out metadata pretty quickly in CDDS.

The version of CDDS in the video is 1.0.6.1 Testing 24.
The latest build is Testing 25 -- available in this post:
https://cdds-and-tools.forumotion.com/t48p225-cdds-1-0-6-1#696
It's a pre-release build but pretty stable.

I have the Rock Pants but not the texture pack. I'll just use a similar clothing item that I do have a texture pack for and do a video for it. Give me a day to get it done. Hopefully that will get you going with doing your own product.

MrMechano
MrMechano

Back to top Go down

Post by 3d-rotic Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:32 pm

MrMechano wrote:You're right that it would be nice to get a product and texture set in DIM format with metadata from Rendo. When this tool is done I hope that it will be easy enough to use and easily available so that content creators can use it for setting up DIMs. Daz made the process in DS so horrible to use that it never caught on but I can crank out metadata pretty quickly in CDDS.

The version of CDDS in the video is 1.0.6.1 Testing 24.
The latest build is Testing 25 -- available in this post:
https://cdds-and-tools.forumotion.com/t48p225-cdds-1-0-6-1#696
It's a pre-release build but pretty stable.

I have the Rock Pants but not the texture pack. I'll just use a similar clothing item that I do have a texture pack for and do a video for it. Give me a day to get it done. Hopefully that will get you going with doing your own product.

Thank you very much for helping me/us with a new video for that.
Very Happy

3d-rotic

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:54 pm

MrMechano wrote:You're right that it would be nice to get a product and texture set in DIM format with metadata from Rendo. When this tool is done I hope that it will be easy enough to use and easily available so that content creators can use it for setting up DIMs. Daz made the process in DS so horrible to use that it never caught on but I can crank out metadata pretty quickly in CDDS.

Yes, it be nice if other stores used DIM's. But one reason content creators don't even bother with metadata is it's not required.
And the store doesn't wants the content in a subfolder so they couldn't make DIM's if they want to. Which is a shame it would make
installing / uninstalling content a lot easier for there customers.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://cdds-and-tools.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by totocaca Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:00 pm

Hey, thx for this tutorial, it really helped me!

Got a problem, everything works fine, i succeeded creating and installing my Dim Zip BUT the product's picture does not appear in daz...
Does anyone know how to fix this or what i did wrong? i've tried a lot of things, even to download the 1.0.6.0 version and nothing fixed it...

It's kind of frustrating to have a grey square instead of a picture to present the pack...

Thx a lot!

totocaca

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMechano Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:28 pm

totocaca wrote:Hey, thx for this tutorial, it really helped me!

Got a problem, everything works fine, i succeeded creating and installing my Dim Zip BUT the product's picture does not appear in daz...
Does anyone know how to fix this or what i did wrong? i've tried a lot of things, even to download the 1.0.6.0 version and nothing fixed it...

It's kind of frustrating to have a grey square instead of a picture to present the pack...

Thx a lot!
Did you use the Smart Content tab to create the metadata? If not then that's how you get the image to work.

Other than that... could be an error of some sort because of the image used or quite a few different things. Need more detail to give you a better answer.

If you are talking about the image that appears in DIM then that's a whole different thing because DIM doesn't use the same thumb.
MrMechano
MrMechano

Back to top Go down

Post by totocaca Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:36 pm

Thx for your answer!

In the first pannel "create daz install manifest": "Add lines for Smart Content file" , "Smart content tab category only" and "(optional)add image for content" were activated!

And in the "create smart content file" pannel: i tried to import the image by clicking on the arrow next to "product image" AND "set image size" in "custom" mode.

The strange thing is that the image seems to be created in the runtime present in the .zip, but daz doesn't use it for the pack created (the images inside for each element work though).

And, of course, i've tried with 2 differents files and 2 different images (one was a .png, the other one was a .jpeg).

It's very frustrating cause EVERYTHING works perfectly EXCEPT this.

totocaca

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMechano Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:24 pm

totocaca wrote:Thx for your answer!

In the first pannel "create daz install manifest", "Add lines for Smart Content file" , "Smart content tab category only" and "(optional)add image for content" were activated!

And in the "create smart content file" pannel, i tried to import the image by clicking on the arrow next to "product image" AND "set image size" in "custom" mode.

The strange thing is that the image seems to appear in the runtime present in the zip created.

And, of course, i've tried with 2 differents files and 2 different images (one was a .png, the other one was a .jpeg).
As far as I know it has to be a .jpg image but that shouldn't matter because CDDS should make the thumb a jpeg no matter what format you start with.

The "standard" thumbnail size is 114x148 portrait so you should try to keep it to the same ratio for best results. DS will normally display a thumb even with different dimensions but it may look weird.

If you update a product in DIM (uninstall/reinstall) it will probably NOT show any changes in DS Smart Content. I think the image is cached somewhere and the change in DIM does not change the metadata in DS. So you probably have to delete the product in DS and then re-import the metadata.

You can skip the first step and go directly to the Product in the Content Library if you wish.
Metadata Tutorial Change11

You can try "Update Metadata" instead of Delete but it doesn't seem to work for me.
Metadata Tutorial Change12

The Red Arrow points to the Context Menu that is available in Smart Content or Content Library. You don't need to have anythings selected to use it. just need to be in one of those places for it to show up.
Metadata Tutorial Change13

The next steps should be pretty self-explanatory.
Metadata Tutorial Change10

Metadata Tutorial Change14
When Completed you will need to Refresh the Smart Content tab or restart DS to see any changes made to metadata.
MrMechano
MrMechano

Back to top Go down

Post by totocaca Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:46 pm

Thx for your answer!

The fact is that i tried with 3 entirely different .zip, and none of them had the product image in daz, so my guess is that it's probably not a problem of residual datas.

But i'll try that in an hour, thx!

Just to know, do you use the CDDS(1.0.6.1) version available in this forum?
Is it normal that in this version, a lot of options can't be changed (which were editable in the 1.0.6.0 version)?

Metadata Tutorial Sans_t20

Could you maybe, if it's not bothering you, uploading your full operational CDDS program for me to make sure that the issue is coming from my parameters?

Thx, and no problem if you can't!

totocaca

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:57 pm

The only option on the first tab that should be checked to make smart content metadata is "Add lines for Smart Content file"
the other options are for special cases. 99.9% of the time the only option used is "Add lines for Smart Content file".
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by totocaca Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:10 pm

Thx for your answer!
That's odd, when i only check "Add lines for Smart Content file", the marked objects in the 2nd pannel can't be updated, when i push the "create dim zip" button, they tell me that some objects are unused, and when i ask for a list, they're ALL here...

First time this issue occurs, when i was checking the "smart content tab category only" (+ "(optionnal) add image for content" tab), the objects were updated fine...

(I'm on Windows 7, by the way, dunno if it can help)

totocaca

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:27 pm

In order to create a DIM all the files in the list on the left must have
1. Content type
2. At least one Category
3. At least one Compatibility unless you check "No compatibility"
4. An image

These are optional
1. Add Artist(s)
2. Tag(s)
3. Userwords
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MrMechano Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:39 pm

totocaca wrote:Thx for your answer!

The fact is that i tried with 3 entirely different .zip, and none of them had the product image in daz, so my guess is that it's probably not a problem of residual datas.

But i'll try that in an hour, thx!
I'm using the latest (I think) Alpha Testing build.

Residual Data can sometimes include a missing/broken image. So when you make any update to the product the image might still look broken. It's not 100% of the time but it even happens with "official" Daz dims and the delete/re-import is the only way I know to get around that.

It sounds like you didn't do 100% of the Smart Content tab so that might be the cause of your missing images. BUT even if you fix that and uninstall/install the product you may still need to do the delete/re-import to get it to show.
MrMechano
MrMechano

Back to top Go down

Post by totocaca Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:49 pm

The good news is that objects can indeed be updated when you only check "Add lines for Smart content files" (when you only check this, you can AND have no choice but to change compatibility parameters)

Metadata Tutorial 110

The bad news is that the product image still doesn't show up in daz
Metadata Tutorial 210

That's really strange because, again, everything works fine except this. Shocked

totocaca

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:58 pm

Sounds like you need to do as @MrMechano said re import the metadata.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by totocaca Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:23 pm

OK, i finally succeeded, i'll tell you what i did, it might be helpfull- or improved!

Metadata Tutorial Sans_t21

In the "create DAZ install manifest" pannel, i changed the SKU numbers (the small ones). my spider-senses tell me (it might be totally wrong) that all my attempts had the same "serial", and as a matter of fact, were recognized as the same object by Daz. there was -indeed- a conflit.

By changing the serial, Daz (i might saying non-sense) understood that it was a new product, and treated it as a new product!

Problem solved, Thx a lot for your help and your program, you'll probably see me again if i have another issue!

totocaca

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:30 pm

Yes, you can have SKU conflict which will cause problems in Daz. That's why it's best to use the vendor's prefix and
product id when making DIMs like ROY00379803-01_ProductName.zip.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kleinefotoman Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:19 am

Hello Everyone,

I am new to making metadata (and to this program) and have difficulty understanding the part about compatibility.
My primary concern is about presets (in this case poses) which are made for Genesis figures.
It is clear that you have to select the figure (in this case Genesis 2) in the compatibility field.
But I am not sure about the "custom compatibility" and "object compatibility". Should you use these fields when it is just a preset for a genesis figure? Does this perhaps have anything to do with showing up in the smart content tab under the product which the metadata is for? And is Genesis an Actor or something?

Sorry if these questions seem to too basic. I am just trying to understand the working of this whole metadata thing.

kleinefotoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:53 am

Hi, welcome.

"custom compatibility" This is to set compatibility for content that don't use any of Daz's standard content.
Which is usually props and objects that don't attach to a figure. Or douse and has it's own materials, morphs
and so on that just works for that content.

"object compatibility" This sets what the content is compatibility with.

Using your question as an example Genesis 2 poses.

You wouldn't use "custom compatibility" you would use Genesis 2 if the poses works with male and female if not
you would use Genesis 2 male or Genesis 2 female depending on which it was made for.

You would do the same for "object compatibility".

Mainly what this options do is have the content show in the smart content tab in Daz when the compatible
object is selected in the scene.

Hopefully this makes sense if not let me know. I've been up for about 24 hours trying to get a project done
so it may not.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kleinefotoman Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:48 pm

Last answer made sense and helped me.

This time, I have a question about the content type. I want to create metadata for Disordercode's 'Strip Show for V6', which is clothing (a panty) item with morphs. When I open the .duf file in an editor and look at the 'type', it tells me it is a "scene_subset". I have no idea if this is normal for clothing or not. What would be best to select for this item? Should I just select Follower-Wardrobe-Underwear-Bottom or something else?
How do you recognize the right content type.

kleinefotoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:10 am

The type "scene_subset" is what the one who created the content saved it as. This doesn't have any effect on setting
the content type in CDDS You can set the content type to Follower-Wardrobe-Underwear-Bottom.

As for "right content type" any content can be set to anything you want. In most cases what the content is will give
you good ideal of the content type. You can also look at a similar item in Daz to see what it's content type is. Anyway
it's really up to you as to what you set it to.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kleinefotoman Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:01 am

...And were back. It seems I still don't understand the part of compatibility completely.

I tried to make metadata for an item that was included as a bonus in a product. no further files being presets for it.
Still, I thought "lets make a custom compatibility for it".

Inside the .duf file the 'type' was 'scene_subset' (OK, no problem, I set 'ContentType' to prop and 'Category' to /Default/Props/Furniture)
Further inside the .duf file another file is called, a .dsf file (not that I need to read that far into the file, but it seems that this is also the file being set for 'Object Compatibility')
Inside the /data/[artist]/Figures/[item]/ folder there is indeed a .dsf file (and a folder 'UV Sets').
OK, so I set a custom compatibility and click 'Base Compatibility' inside 'Object Compatibility'. Popup: "Select compatibility before selecting Base Compatibility".

I have no idea what I did wrong!
By the way, since it is a prop, it is not something that should be compatible with a Genesis figure.

kleinefotoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next